What is CLAN?
Functionally, CLAN has two parts: the editor and the commands window. In this course you will learn about the first part.
The first part is the CLAN editor, which works similar to a text editor. It also includes a video and audio player with the option to link your text to a specific time in the video or audio (= make timestamps/bullets) that you can easily replay the make further analysis of your transcript easier. Other functions include shortcuts for speaker abbreviations and connecting annotations and comments to speaker lines.
What you learn in this course:
- How to prepare your transcript file, so you can:
- play your audio/video
- link your audio/video to the text
- add speakers
- create speaker shortcuts
- analyse your transcripts further
- How to play your video or audio
- How to transcribe text
- How to add special characters (for Conversation Analysis)
- How to link your video/audio to the text, so you can:
- easily replay one line at a time
- that playing your transcript at specific points in the transcript
- analyse your transcript in more detail
- How to link annotations and comments to speaker lines
How to approach this course?
It would be best to follow the course in the order that it is set up in, because if you miss some parts, other parts of the program might not work. Lessons 2,3, and 4 are especially crucial to ensure the program runs properly.
Jump to lesson:
01 – Download & Install CLAN
02 – Prepare your files
03 – Create a CLAN file
04 – Setup the CLAN file
05 – Play your video/audio (F5)
06 – Play your video/audio (Sonic Mode)
07 – Start transcribing
08 – Start transcribing (New Lines)
09 – Special Characters
10 – Special Characters (Overlap)
11 – Dependent Tiers
12 – Preferences (Autosave)
- CLAN Manual (PDF) by Spencer Hazel and Janus Mortensen.
- Folder with exercises (zip) to follow the tutorial.
- Error messages with solutions (PDF) when using “esc+L”
- List of Dependent Tiers (PDF) to use in the transcript
- List of Header Tiers (PDF) to use in the transcript
- List of Language Abbreviations (PDF) to use in the transcript
- List of Commands (PDF) to use to analyze the transcript
- List of Switches (PDF) to use in commands to analyze the transcript
Other CLAN tutorials: